Principal Member of Scott Bowen Creative
732-317-3898 Office | 917-318-4787 Mobile | SDB@SCOTTBOWENCREATIVE.COM
What I Do
Lead the creation of digital and print content that makes marketing programs succeed and clients very happy. Redefine creative concepts to solve problems before they start. Figure out the right story and tell it in a variety of ways, in a variety of forms, working with designers and other artists. Develop effective promotional narratives that evolve as platforms and programs change. Manage client relationships with thoughtful, effective creative responses.
- Analytic revision of established media to optimize content value
- Collaborating with and mentoring team members
- Operating effectively with a variety of creative teams and stakeholders
- Coordinating messaging across all platforms
- Blended, balanced creative and analytical thinking
- Communicating clearly with other business units: sales, compliance, executive et al.
Creative Content Developer & Manager, New Brunswick, NJ
- Providing comprehensive content developed and editorial services for marketing programs, internal communications, commercial and private publications, and reports. Specialty in long-form/book-length publications. Fluent in key social media and SEO strategies, and in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Developed and edited more than 200 financial-marketing Web sites, brochures, presentations, and advertisements across six years of agency-based and contracted work for Merrill Lynch and Bank of America (Pennington, NJ).
- Produced more than 200 articles and blog posts for various consumer magazines and Web sites, with by-lines appearing in Forbes BrandVoice (Jersey City, NJ), Fortune-Small Business (New York, NY), ForbesTraveler.com, True/Slant.com, and The New York Times. Developed and wrote 12 television scripts (broadcast as single episodes) over two cable-network programming seasons for Gowdy Productions (Beverly, MA).
- Full-length E-book created for Gameloft (New York, NY). Book-length history edited for Lahey Hospital (Burlington, MA).
- Agency-based marketing and editorial work performed for VSA Partners (Chicago), Wechsler Ross & Partners (New York, NY), Addison Design (New York, NY), and Inforest Communications (Princeton, NJ).
Recent Creative Work
Forbes BrandVoice – Articles for Forbes Media’s digital content-marketing platform:
- “Four Reasons Downtown Las Vegas Is a Great Place for Business Travelers,”
January 3, 2017.
- “How To Find The Type of Money Advisor You Need,” December 22, 2016.
- “Why One Company Is Giving Youth A Leg Up In The World Of Work,” September 12, 2016.
Recent Content Development History
Editor, Employee Retirement Services, Bank of America
May 2015–May 2016
Special Project Editor, The Lyons Press, Guilford, CT
January 2015–August 2015
Designed a book-acquisition and publishing program, on a freelance basis, for the 2016-2017 trade seasons for The Lyons Press outdoors list, including book concepts, assigned authors, and performance projections. Developed revision plans for established outdoors titles with Lyons branding partners L.L. Bean and The Orvis Company.
Custom Marketing Editor, Global Wealth & Investment Management
Merrill Lynch, Pennington, NJ
June 2010–December 2014
Revised and edited customized marketing content (print and digital) created for Merrill Lynch financial advisor teams nationwide. This involved frequent client interviews (FAs), managing client revisions, and editing around design changes. Managed all custom content through Compliance review. Frequently focused on proactive selections of disclosures prior to Compliance review. Work performed on site with Merrill Lynch, and also in agency setting when line-of-business was contracted to Wechsler Ross & Partners (NYC; 2010-2011) and Addison Design (NYC; 2011-2014).
Journalism & Authorship
- Earlier freelance journalism appeared in The New York Press, ESPN-Outdoors.com, American Angler, Field & Stream, Flyfish Journal, and Saltwater Flyfishing.
- Author of The Midnight Fish & Other Stories (short-story collection; The Morris-Lee Publishing Group, 2001) and
The Vampire Survival Guide (humor/satire; Skyhorse Publishing, 2008).
- Anthologized fiction appears in Tight Lines: Ten Years of The Yale Anglers’ Journal (Yale University Press, 2007).
Master of Fine Arts, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
Majors: Writing, English Literature. Thesis Advisor: James Dickey.
Bachelor of Arts, The College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ
Majors: Journalism, English Literature. Honors: Summa cum laude, Phi Kappa Phi.